October 09, 2009

Last day home



Yesterday at 11 am we had to say goodby to our little TC. We didn't even know he was ill until three days ago when I noticed him having problems. The vet found a cancerous tumor in his belly the following day. It was making him very uncomfortable, and looking at the x-rays I could understand why. It was a huge mass which pushed on his other organs.
I took him home for one more day of tender loving care and some extra good food. This is when I took this picture of him. He seemed to look off in the distance with a kind of forlorn look. It broke my heart.
It was such a tough 24 hours for us, but we put our selfish desires aside of wanting to hold on to him as long as possible, and took him in the next morning. I had taken his brush along to comfort him by stroking his fur. He enjoyed that and even purred. The vet then gave him a shot to relax him completely...(kind of like what people get before a surgery)....after ten minutes she came back in to give him the final shot...30 seconds later he was gone.
The house seems so empty now, even though we have other pets. I sometimes imagine him as if he still were here in the next room, but then reality sets in that he isn't and never will be again. I miss him so much. He was a sweet and laid back cat, and would always come running to greet me.
We brought TC home from the animal shelter 16 years ago when he was a tiny little fuzz ball. The first day he tought us a game he loved to play. FETCH! He would bring a little twig to us he found outside and we throw it for him...this would go on and on...lol What a cutie! He brought much love and laughter to our home. It was a priviledge to have this sweet cat living with us for these years. We will never forget him.

On another note...there hasn't been much drawing time for me lately because of the approaching Christmas show season. Soon, though, I will be able to return to drawing. I have started the line drawing for the Chihuahua drawing I wrote about in a previous post. I also have another child portrait commission to work on for someone wanting to give it as a Christmas gift.
Hope all of you, my blogger friends, are doing well! Talk with you later.
Christine

13 comments:

eidolons said...

Big, big, big hugs.

Jan said...

Christine, I'm so, so sorry! TC was a gorgeous cat and I know how much you'll miss him.

Vic said...

Aww Christine I am so sorry for your loss of TC...it is so hard to let our beloved companions go, but he will always be with you in spirit.

Teresa Mallen said...

Such sad news Christine. I am so sorry! I know that you must have given TC the best life possible over all these years. I hope your wonderful memories will be a blessing. Many hugs.

C Hummel Kornell a/k/a C Hummel Wilson said...

How sad, I am sorry for your loss. We went through a similar 'good bye' with our shitzu, Mr. Waggles. He had lived with us for 19 1/2 years and was such a comfort. He's been gone for five years and is still missed. TC was a beautiful cat and one can tell from his photo that he lived a good and happy life. God Bless you.

Christine said...

Thank you all for your comforting words! I appreciate each one of you!
Christine

Dors said...

I am so sorry for your Loss Christine.
It is so hard to say goodbye, they are family.

sending you a big Hug.
Dors.

Kelley said...

I'm sorry Christine. That's really sad. He sounds like he was an awesome cat.

Elena Malec said...

TC's story is very sad.I am sure your fond memories iof him will keep him in your heart foever.

Mary Rogers said...

That's a beautiful picture of TC. Im sorry for your loss. I'm glad you made the choice to stay with him to the end.

Billie Crain said...

Christine, I'm so sorry about TC.:( He looks so much like my Raven who I lost to cancer a little over two years ago. I still miss her.

Carolina said...

I'm so sorry for your loss, Christine. I know about that...
I hope you're feeling well by now.
Best regards,
Carolina

Christine said...

Hi all....thank you for your kind words! It helps to know people care and understand how hard it is to say goodby. It's been a month now since TC has passed and I feel still sad but accepting. I know that 10 years from now I will still miss him and shed some tears now and then. Thank you all! XO

web statistics